BBWO: BLACK BUSINESS WOMEN ONLINE

Is there anyone who has published a book or maybe you're writing a book and planning to publish it. What about self publishers. I am in the process of writing a book and would love to talk to you about what your process is or has been to get your book out to the public. I am thinking of going through one of the many self publishers that are out right now. There are so may POD(print on demand) services out their and the only thing that differentiates them from one another seems to be the price but I know it has to be deeper than that. Let's talk. Maybe we can all collaborate one day on a book tour. How about the Black Business Women Connect book tour. lol. Wishful thinking!

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion
Join our Facebook Community | Share Your Web Links | Enter Our Big Giveaway
Post Your Favorite Videos | Submit Articles | Join Our Affiliate Program

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE DIANN-
I WOULD LIKE TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR OUR MAGAZINE CALLED GARY LIFE MAGAZINE, WHICH IS THROUGH A COMPANY CALLED ABUNDANT LIFE PUBLICATIONS. ONCE YOU VISIT OUR WEBSITE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO WRITE TO ME AT OUR P.O. BOX ADDRESS FOR MORE INFO, AND THINK ABOUT SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE TO OUR PUBLICATION AS WELL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE SOME STORIES ABOUT YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCES AT A YOUNG AGE!
GOD BLESS, AND I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON!
CLARISSA TURNER-FREELANCE JOURNALIST
It is always possible to write a book.
The best thing is just to write and then if you need assistance organizing the book let me know.
Hi Janovia. I am a writer and soon to be published author of two children's books. This is an older post but I am happy to network with people of the same interest and hope you can still get this reply. I am in the contract process with my publisher at the moment. I decided to reply to your post mostly because I admire your positive outlook on this, sometimes very frustrating endeavor, of getting your first manuscript published. I am a mom of five and if I can do it, any writer can...uh hum...that is of if they keep that positive attitude. I am currently juggling a part time job that I keep just for the benefits, the children's needs and my husbands needs while in the publishing process. Is it overwhelming at times? Absolutely! I am looking at the clock right now! lol - But my faith in God and keeping a good attitude, (checking myself when I feel like I want to give up) are what keep me going. Following is a portion of an article I wrote on the POD self publishing route.---

About self publishing: I definitely support the self publishing process as long as you do your research about all that is entailed, and are realistic, especially of the cost involved. One of the reasons I support self publishing is because you have the control over the final product and your book can be exactly the way you have envisioned it. Sadly though, many writers start the process not even knowing what their own budget will be, let alone all the costs involved and have to opt for a book that is nothing like they envisioned and that they cannot market effectively to book stores because of its poor quality. There are many good books about self publishing out there and they are well worth the cost to avoid some of the biggest self publishing pitfalls. That being said, I would like to comment on the POD (print on demand) publishing route as I see it has been mentioned here quite a few times. I believe in researching the pro's and con's in any venture and there are actually still some good POD publishers out there.
First, notice I wrote, good POD publisher and not POD printer, there is a difference. The reason many POD printers have a bad reputation is because when they've made money upfront and your book is printed, there is very little, if any interest in the promotion or marketing of your book. A good POD publisher however, although still charging some fees, (and there is a wide range of these!) can really cut down the UPFRONT cost of making your book. A good POD publisher usually will not accept just any manuscript and should be asking YOU questions. They should definitely be asking you questions that relate to your books proposal. For instance, what is the market for your topic and how are you prepared to adjust your schedule to fit into the promotion and marketing of you book, etc. A good POD publisher may also target a specific niche and may work only within that genre because they can specialize the marketing efforts. Being able to set your own book price which still allows for profit after your per book fee is very important because otherwise you will be disappointed and feel like your time and energy were wasted. A good POD publisher can show you how your book can also result in multiple streams of income by developing a good marketing campaign together which includes speaking engagements, contractual fees for book signings etc.
Ultimately, the key to a successful and effective relationship with a good POD publisher is firstly to go in with your eyes wide open. Your time and budget are keys factors, and for those who don't have much of one or the other, I suggest to keep pushing forward and still at least work on the research. Thoroughly researching the publisher and the success or lack thereof of its authors, the contract terms, etc! I myself, Goggle everything! The name of the publisher, the author sales, the address of the publishing house (incase this one has changed to many times,) the editors etc. I would not even consider one who works strictly via email! A good POD publisher who is a believer in your writing talent, can enable a writer who has a huge vision, a realistic idea of the budget (yes, we must invest in ourselves!) and an authors drive to realize the dream of being published.
Janovia, continue to write and ask for the Lords direction. Keep the faith. I hope this view may be of some help to fellow writers in this process. Take care!
Take a look at this website, www.contactpress.com for publishing your magazine.. It is the least expensive method.
I recently completed an article post about self publishing entitled 'Black and Self Published', its my own personal account of my experiences as a self-publisher, but I also wanted to share the pros and cons of writing your own book for others who are interested in doing so.

lhenry
I would love to pass on my knowledge of the publishing industry. You can reach me at kysha@brosispublishing.com
Ok Great. I look forward to hearing from you.
Rehani Consulting is an entrepreneurial business that provides business services, writing and consulting to individuals, business professionals and organizations. Our services to individuals/authors include Pre-publishing formating, writing, and editing and graphic consulting. I also offer business consulting for authors in reviewing contracts, filing for copyrights, trademarks and providing graphic referral and designs.

If you are interested please contact me 803.708.2363 or through our website www.rehaniconsulting.org.

There is a dream and vision in everyone. Rehani Consulting vision is to assist you in building your dream, providing the blueprint and plan to implement it successfully.

Rehani Consulting has the solution.

Try this link for more information:

www.rehaniconsulting.org

We are offering incentives, discounts and more!

Take a look:

www.rehaniconsulting.org

Make sure you check out this special offer:
http://www.tmiwireless.com/offer/tmobile/?aid=23194

PROMOTION CODE: 23194

Rehani Consulting
We write, We research & You succeed!
Business Plans, Proposals, Corporate Policy Writing, Ad copy and more

Contact us now!
803.201.8708 , rehani@rehaniconsulting.org
rehaniconsulting@gmail.com
The idea of a book tour sounds good. Let me know how that plan turns out. I am in the process of self-publishing. I am in the final stages of proofing. I have been for quite awhile. I need to stop procrastinating and get to work. I've been resting my eyes for far too long. Good luck!! Keep me posted.
This is wonderful!

I, too, am in the process of writing a series of children's books this month...I will also need info on publishing and what is the typical start up cost on getting a book to its finished product....

Please give me sugestions and advice in these areas....

Tiff "Da Editor"
Approximately $700 per book
This is a wonderful discussion on self publishing. I self published my own book, 100 Secrets of Successful Single Motherhood and had it printed for a nominal cost. The results were fantastic and I plan to use the same printer again and again. My book is available as an ebook as well. Of course, as most have indicated, the marketing is the key to getting sales and press. I have not been as diligent with my marketing as I could be, but I know that the options are endless. A marketing plan is crucial, even if it's just a one page deal. Take advantage of all of the wonderful ladies' advice here and get yourself published and sold!

With all of the activity surrounding this topic I hope that all will take the time to join my group, Sister Authors and Writers, here on Black Business Women Online. http://sistapreneurs.ning.com/group/sisterauthorsandwriters

RSS

Become A Money Magnet

Sponsors & Support

Advertisements

Your Banner Here - Advertising on BBWO

Advertisement

Your Banner Here - Advertising on BBWO

Back to Business Virtual Conference

© 2020   Created by LaShanda Henry.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service