Ladies!!! I know personally one of challenges of being a BBW and a WAHM is getting and staying organized with your space and your time! Yep... I've been accused of being an Organized mess! So, I've spent ample time getting organized and TRYING to stay that way. My challenge is that I have a business that has 3 different focuses... Event Planning (props), Gift Baskets...(more props) and my spa line (supplies supplies supplies). Add that to a CRAZY ACTIVE 8 year old girl and a 8 year old boy who leaves TRAILS of toys... a man that Kicks off his shoes where he stands.... and the normal hub bub of any house... and you have INSTANT CHAOS which will leave you pulling your hair out and frazzled beyond words! SO, I thought it would be helpful, if everyone chipped in and gave their tips on getting and staying organized with your business! I'll start...
1- This helps the most for me... I do not leave my house without a LIST!!!! AND, I take 5 minutes to actually plan my errands... in a clockwise direction... YES, it saves TIME! By eliminating left turns when you can... you shave off TONS of time from errand running!!!
2- I write EVERYTHING down. Ok, I'm the post it queen... and at the end of the day, I take all of my post it's and jot them into my book so I can organize my day and week.
3- May sound corny, but I even plan my meals... (no wonder I'm an event planner)... again, saves time at the store, and less stress come dinner time.
4- I toss junk mail immediately! Don't worry, they will send MORE!
5- EVERYTHING in my office is now in clear storage boxes with labels.... that's ALOT of boxes. LOL
6- I've opted for a deliver service that will pick up my packages for a SMALL fee... (less money than the gas I'd have to use to go drop it off! LOL) This saves me about 45 minutes in a day...If I have to drop off, I'll do it without making a left turn. :-)
LAST... I continue to take baby steps.... I try to be realistic about my day... what can I REALLLLLY get done in a day, What NEEDS to be done today and what can wait until tomorrow or next week.
So... jump in and share!!! Maybe we can learn something from each other!!!
Ok Imma need you to get outta my head first of all hahaha. Now how do I stay organized. First of all I accept my limitations (which aint been easy to do since I was a single momma who just knew she had to do it all...and most times I did). So heres what I did:
1. Like you I have post it everywhere...I should have invested in the company
2. I read my mail over the trash can, yep no need to hold on to junk mail, other stuff gets shredded
3. Grocery shopping online - this has been a God send. Do I REALLY need to find somewhere to park, stand in line, deal with the folks who leave their carts in the middle of the lane...NO
4. Getting some help around the house. When I was in class working on my business plan, I have to admit the house work suffered a lil so I got some help. I went to http://www.laborfair.com and hired someone to help out and she is wonderful. Now that my daughter and grandbaby are at the house, my daughter keeps an eye on her for me. LOVE IT!
Good suggestions and I thought I was the note taking and notebook queen? If it isn't written down it only clutters my brain. I have some much info and som much to get done, I don't know how it gets done and organized, but it does. Comes from being a manager and delegating for so many years (although I'd be lying if I said I do it enough now!)
You need to have a sense of priority and deadlines and accountability. Something may fall through the cracks, but you can manage what that thing is-as long as it isn't truly vital to the overall plan.
Process- have one and make up your own. We get so caught up in how things should be instead of making what works for us the focus. As long as the end result is top notch it doesn't matter how you got there. And you have to be comfortable with that no matter the folks who'll argue with you think. They're just crabs in the barrel and fear success. Don't let them take you off track. Which brings up an important point: time wasters- people and things. Cut them out! That is the biggest thing to being organized- time management. If folks can't respect your time-cut them out of your life like weeds and what your little garden grow-organized and beautiful! Random emails- respond to those you need to, mark for follow up or unread those that can wait. Browse the sales end of day or when you need a mental break.
As a Producer and creative developer, time is money in every sense of the word-so being organized and timely is vital to my business and bottomline- it effects everything and everyone involved.
I'm rambling. Guess I should have organized my thoughts LOL
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon with you and Margaret - Get outta my head!! I've been doing the single momma thing, too, and it is no piece of cake most times trying to juggle career and kids... and now trying to even think about getting married after 8 years?! Whew... Anyway...
1. I keep most of my tasks list and info in MS Outlook. At first the popups drove me crazy, but they were necessary to keep me on track.
2. I also have a pocket calendar and I always carry around a 5x7 notepad so when people call when I'm on the road, I can jot down things quick, fast, and in a hurry, so I won't forget.
3. I jot down my daily routine and try my best to stick to the schedule!
4. I, too, don't even bring the junk mail into the office area... straight to the trash they go!
5. Gotta get to the shopping online... but the grocery story is within walking distance so i'm not in a rush to do that, just yet. I do clip coupons though and I'm a part of a group called the momsfriendshipcircle with stay at home moms who share tips and ideas and sales and the like so if i'm too busy, i know someone else has probably already done the work of finding the bargain basement discounts I need.
6. Like Charna, I make sure that I plan my route before I leave the house and drive in a circular motion. My son thought I was crazy, but now that he's driving and having to pay for gas, I see him pickin up on it real fast!
7. Thank God for teenagers!! I got them a chore calendar and everyone knows what and when to do what for around the house... I hardly touch a dish or vacuum anymore, hallelujah!
8. And honey, gets a honey do list, too, to help out...
I have to write everything down, I mean everything. I have an inbox for each catogory of my business and I try to prioritize by time and due date. I am most product in my business at night when everyone is sleep for I have no distractions. It is very hard to work at home during peak family time. I also have a 6 month old and I have to work around his schedule, so it is just easier for me to work at night when the house is shut down.
As a designer I harbor a lot of stuff for my business...
For my floral business I keep all of my flowers together by color. I also have organized everything I use to create floral arrangements so that it is easy for me to design.
For my hair bows....all of my ribbon is displayed on a roll and by color. I have all sorts of boxes, jars, and drawers to sort all of my items for better production. I label everything so that I know what it is and just try to always put back what I take out. I try!!!!!!!!!
I like to plan my meals in advance and grocery shop for the week
I read my mail over the trash as well.
I make everyone around the house pitch in to help me keep things in order.
It is a job but I work hard at it to keep production going.
These are all great tips. Another great tip to share would be delegation. We always are trying to be superwoman and don't realize that many times, by holding on to some tasks that we should let go, we are preventing ourselves from moving to the next level.
Thanks Tina!!! I'm starting to use delegation a lot more now that the children are old enough. Just the fact that they can pop a waffle in the toaster helps me sooo much!! I normally start my day between 6 and 7 am just so I can have quiet time.... and now that summer is here... I'm really going to put them to work! :-)